We love Careerealism for posting this article "10 Things Recruiters Won't Tell You, But I Will" As a former recruiter, and as a current career specialist for one of the worlds largest online universities I coach countless adult learners on how to find a job. Together, we tackle resumes, cover letters, job searching, and interviewing. Along the way there have been successes, crying, and shouts of joy. However, even the best resume, cover letter, and interview will not save a job seeker if the following offenses are committed below:
Here are the main points from the article:
- Your interview attire is outdated/messy/too tight/too revealing/too flashy.
- Your physical appearance is disheveled/outdated/sloppy/smelly/overpowering (i.e. too much perfume).
- Your eye contact is weak/shifty/intense.
- Your handshake is limp/too forceful/clammy.
- You say ah/um/like too much.
- You talk too much/use poor grammar/say inappropriate things (i.e. swearing) when you answer interview questions.
- You appear overconfident/pushy/self-centered/insecure/aloof/ditzy/scatter-brained/desperate.
- You talk too fast/too slow/too loud/too soft.
- You giggle/fidget/act awkward/have facial tics/lack expression.
- You lack sincerity/self-confidence/clarity/conviction.