Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Linked In Experiment: Part One





Ever since Thad Greer, Owner of South Florida Management Search held his first seminar with Kaplan University last year called "How To Blog Your Way To A Job" I've become interested in the potential of blogs and social networking sites (Twitter, LinkedIn, and FaceBook). I STRONGLY feel that they can transform a job seekers job search and improve their chances for promotion by expanding their network.





Why is this important? Because statistically, 80% of available jobs are hidden. That's right - 80%! So, what about the jobs you see on sites like Monster.com and Careerbuilder.com? Or your local newspaper? Well, they are the 20% of advertised jobs. Don't take my word for it. There are countless articles on this factoid. One Google search of the term ""Hidden Job Market" and "80 percent"" yields over 800 websites attesting to this fact in Google's search results.





So, I've decided to "put my money where my mouth is" so to speak and start building an online profile. Not for me - but for you! As I discover opportunities, I'm going to post how I found them on this blog once per week. This way, you can follow in my footsteps and start building an online presence, start networking, and start finding hidden opportunities - for yourself!





My first stop - LinkedIn.





I'll post the first of my findings next week. In the meantime, let me know your thoughts. Have you used LinkedIn before? Would you like to know more about it? Do you know of any other sites I should try? Feel free to comment.


No comments: